Gary Matthews Solicitors Success Story: Case alleging liquid leaked from cannula and burned baby’s foot settled for €75,000 (via Irish Times)

Tomiwa Bobby Agbaje, now aged 13, was five days old at time of alleged incident in Dublin’s Rotunda Hospital

A High Court case in which it was alleged that a boy’s leg was burned by a solution leaking from a cannula in his foot when he was a newborn baby has been settled for €75,000.

Tomiwa Bobby Agbaje (13), from Mallow, Co Cork, was five days old and in the intensive care unit at the Rotunda Hospital, Dublin, when the incident was alleged to have happened.

His counsel, Dr Ciaran Craven, instructed by solicitor Gary Matthews, told the court the boy was born premature at 27 weeks. When he was five days old he was found to have too much acid in his blood, and an infusion of sodium bicarbonate was given, counsel said. It was the plaintiff’s case that the solution burned his left foot, which has been left with a scar.

To read the full story please visit: